Over the past few years, CBD has taken the world by storm. Daily, I see claims that CBD “cures” a myriad of ills. As a holistic nurse practitioner and certified herbalist for more than 30 years, those exaggerated claims “push my buttons”, for a variety of reasons.
My mission is to educate, inspire and empower individuals to take charge of their health and transform their lives. I have been using high quality herbs and botanicals for myself, my family, and my clients, for more than 3 decades. There is tremendous power in Mother Nature’s “farmacy”, but one needs to know the FACTS in order to make sound & well-informed decisions.
How Do Cannabinoids Work?
We all have an Endocannabinoid System (ECS), and it is just as important as our Respiratory System, Cardiovascular System, or Immune System. The ECS is the “orchestra conductor” of the body. It regulates multiple systems to achieve balance and harmony. The ECS operates behind the scenes to support the wisdom of every cell of the body and coordinate the functions of cells, tissues, glands and organs. (3, 4)
The ECS has three primary functions (2):
- To balance hormones (sex hormones, thyroid hormones, stress hormones) for calm, relaxation, healthy metabolism & healthy stress response
- To balance brain chemistry for optimal learning, focus, memory, concentration, mood, and restorative sleep
- To support healthy cell function, including modulating inflammation and healthy immune response
Where Do Cannabinoids Come From?
Cannabinoids are not foreign to the human body. We manufacture them internally. (Endogenous cannabinoids are even found in human breast milk.) The issue is that our native cannabinoids are used up quickly when under physical or emotional stress. Supplemental plant based cannabinoids attach to the same cell receptors in our bodies to support our innate ECS in performing its vital functions. They are a healthy insurance policy.
Several well known plants contain cannabinoids. We automatically think of cannabis, since it is the richest source of these compounds. Both hemp and marijuana contain an assortment of cannabinoids, but marijuana is much higher in THC, the psychoactive molecule that makes you “high”. Hemp contains higher levels of CBD and other therapeutic compounds and extremely low levels of THC.
Additional plant sources of cannabinoids include well known plants like sunflowers, echinacea, black truffles, black pepper, and cacao.
You need to know that cannabidiol (CBD) is just one of approximately 400 therapeutic compounds found in the cannabis plant. CBD is extremely popular, but often misunderstood. The amount of mis-information about CBD is astounding!
Let’s take a look at the FACTS:
The cannabis family includes both hemp and marijuana. Marijuana contains a much higher percentage of THC, a psychoactive compound that can make you “high.” Depending on the variety, marijuana may contain anywhere from 5% to 30% THC. The average is about 12%.
By law, industrial hemp can only contain up to 0.3% THC (3 parts per 1,000). Hempsmart’s CBD based products are all derived from organically grown premium hemp.
NOTE: Hempsmart removes ALL residual THC from our products. Every batch of every hempsmart product is independently tested by a certified scientific laboratory and verified to have NO detectable THC. That means there is no concern about clouding your mental acuity or failing a drug test.
What’s In My Hemp Extract?
CBD may be labeled as CBD Isolate, Broad Spectrum CBD, or Full Spectrum CBD. What does that mean, in terms of the benefits you can expect?
- CBD Isolate contains only the CBD molecule from the hemp plant. That single molecule is extracted from approximately 400 therapeutic compounds naturally found in hemp. It has some therapeutic effects, but only a small fraction of the entire plant’s potential benefits. Mother Nature has assembled a rich blend of synergistic plant compounds in the hemp plant. They are designed to function in harmony for a powerful “Entourage Effect.” While some slick advertising claims that CBD Isolate is the “purest” form of CBD, that is because it is purely CBD, a single molecule, lacking the other synergistic plant compounds. (1) This is the least expensive way to produce a CBD product. I compare it to purchasing a beautiful home with a great living room, but no kitchen or bath. It does not do a comprehensive job of meeting your daily needs.
- Full Spectrum CBD (more accurately described as full spectrum hemp extract) contains all of the naturally occurring compounds found in the hemp plant. This full array of plant components works synergistically to support the ECS. The important Entourage Effect exists with full spectrum CBD. The downside is that full spectrum compounds contain the psychoactive component, THC. It is true that THC has some beneficial effects, but some individuals should NOT use THC. Children, seniors, individuals with certain medical conditions, and those who are required to be drug tested, should avoid THC unless there is a specific indication for using that compound. Drug testing is designed to detect the breakdown products of THC, specifically. THC may also cloud mental acuity, even in small amounts. If you are looking for comprehensive support of your health, without the potential side effects of THC, then a premium quality broad spectrum hemp extract will best meet your needs.
- Broad Spectrum CBD (more accurately, broad spectrum hemp extract) can provide the best of both worlds – the important benefit of the Entourage Effect without the potential problems sometimes associated with THC. The integrity of complementary cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids and other phytonutrients are included and provide the Entourage Effect. Broad Spectrum formulas generally omit the THC that can cloud mental acuity in some individuals, and may also show up on a drug test. NOTE: Every batch of every hempsmart product is verified, by an independent certified laboratory, to be THC-FREE. That means that there is no detectable level of THC. The integrity of other complimentary cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and other phytonutrients is maintained for the important Entourage Effect.
Safe and Effective CBD-based Formulas
There are some very good hemp based products in the marketplace and many that are NOT worth your money. They certainly are not worth risking your health! Because there is little to no regulation on the quality of CBD formulas, it is important that you be a savvy consumer and make a well-informed decision. Do your homework right here and learn how to choose a legitimate non-toxic CBD formula that can support your health, without undesirable toxins and side effects.
Comprehensive Independent Lab Testing
In addition to knowing what is IN your CBD products, it is essential to know what is NOT in them! Hemp is good for the planet because it helps to clean the environment. It is quite effective at pulling toxins like pesticides and heavy metals from the soil. Any reputable hemp based product should be validated by a comprehensive Certificate of Analysis (COA), from a certified independent laboratory. You should be able to see proof of testing for cannabinoid profile (including THC), terpenes, heavy metals, pesticides, bacteria, mold, and solvents. Every batch of every product should be tested, with the COA’s available for you to examine.
Beware of Exaggerated Claims:
You will see ads for CBD claiming to treat, prevent or “cure” a variety of illnesses or medical conditions. It is ILLEGAL to claim or imply that CBD treats or “cures” any disease (per decree of the FDA & FTC). it is also just not accurate! CBD does not treat or cure any diagnosis. What it does is much more powerful!
A premium quality broad spectrum CBD formula supports the wisdom of every cell of the body, thru the action of the ECS. It works at a foundational level to help maintain balance at a cellular level. A reputable, scientifically validated broad-spectrum hemp extract supports the ECS to function as a masterful “orchestra conductor” of the body so that balance and harmony is maintained between the cells, organs, gland and tissues. This is the foundation of wellness. (4)
The human body is designed to be resilient and resistant to health challenges. The best CBD based products are formulated with scientifically verified purity, potency, and integrity to support the healthy structure and function of your body and mind. Don’t buy “hype.” Invest in scientifically proven RESULTS.
Demand to see the Certificate of Analysis (COA) from an independent certified lab. That COA should include not just the cannabinoid and terpene content, but also the proof of a passing score on pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, mold, foreign contamination and residual solvents.
At hempsmart, we are scientifically driven in our mission: Enhancing and Improving Lives.
We’re in this together.
Real results you can FEEL from the brand you can TRUST.