Who is using hemp products?
The rapidly expanding fascination and burgeoning market for hemp is not confined to a single generation. Every age group, from Generation Z to Baby Boomers, has experienced the remarkable health benefits of hemp.
Hemp is a versatile botanical treasure that can be used for food, nutritional supplementation, textiles, building materials, and even bio-fuels. It is a sustainable plant that can feed, nourish, clothe, house, and transport our population. The nutrients contained in a good quality hemp extract are extremely beneficial to support health and harmony of the human body, including the brain and central nervous system.
The multiple plant nutrients contained in hemp are safe and effective in supporting out body’s Endocannabinoid System (ECS) to maintain balance and homeostasis. The ECS is our internal “orchestra conductor”, responsible for maintaining harmony between our cells, organs, glands and tissues.
The 2018 Farm Bill legalized the cultivation and sale of hemp in the United States. Hemp, which contains less than 0.3% THC, is not psychoactive and will NOT make you “high”. This is in contrast with marijuana, a cousin of hemp, within the cannabis family. Marijuana contains 30 to 100 times as much THC as hemp. THC is the psychoactive component of the cannabis plant. If you are subject to drug testing, or if you want to avoid the potential clouding of your mental acuity, you will want to avoid THC.
Just be certain that your hemp products are thoroughly tested by a properly certified independent scientific laboratory. Testing should include a comprehensive cannabinoid profile as well as terpenes, pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, mold, and solvents. Any reputable company will be proud to share that scientific analysis with their potential customers. If not, shop elsewhere!
Senior citizens are celebrating the benefits of premium quality hemp extracts because they offer real health solutions without unwanted side effects. Some say that getting older is not for “sissies”. The truth is that many of the aches, pains, and assorted health challenges associated with aging can be prevented or significantly delayed with healthy lifestyle choices.
CBD is just the tip of the iceberg!
There is a great deal of hype in the media about CBD. The truth is, CBD is only one of the therapeutic plant compounds found in hemp. Mother Nature has assembled a therapeutic blend of complimentary cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids and other plant nutrients in the hemp plant. These compounds are designed to work synergistically.
When a single hemp component is extracted, or when the integrity of the plant compounds is degraded by high heat or harsh chemicals, many of the benefits of hemp are lost. CBD isolates are lacking the synergistic benefits of hemp that Mother Nature intended.
Highly manipulated nano-particle formulations alter the molecular structure and energetic integrity of natural hemp compounds. The myth of “better living through chemistry” can be very deceiving. “High tech” does not always mean superior. You want a broad spectrum, THC-free hemp product that is minimally processed and independently tested for purity, quality, and integrity.
What are baby boomers saying about smart hemp products?
As a senior citizen myself, I know the importance of listening to my body and providing it with the right raw materials to support my innate ability to heal and repair.
The human body is designed to be resilient and resistant to disease, but our cells require ongoing support to perform their critical functions.
Rather than putting a ‘band-aid” on a symptom, I teach my clients that they can support their body’s innate wisdom to heal and repair at a foundational level. When possible, treat the underlying problem.
Symptoms exist to convey a message about an underlying dysfunction. It is not wise to “shoot the messenger” and ignore the message. Every cell in our body possesses an innate intelligence that deserves to be acknowledged and supported. That cellular intelligence will reward you for listening and acting responsibly.
I have been a Holistic Nurse Practitioner and a Certified Herbalist for nearly four decades. I feel blessed to be in excellent health and medication free, well into my 70’s. Many of my clients are also “baby boomers.” They too benefit from natural health approaches, including high quality hemp based products.
Many of the common complaints associated with aging are NOT inevitable. Our lifestyle choices, including diet, exercise, sleep, fresh air, sunshine, stress management, social support, and nutritional supplementation, profoundly affect our health. It is not all about genes.
The field of epigenetics has revealed that our environment and body terrain determine which genes are expressed and how that expression affects our overall health. It has been said that genetics “load the gun”, but environment (lifestyle) “pulls the trigger”.
Let’s examine a few of the common health concerns of senior citizens:
- Cognitive support: Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of cognitive impairment are a real concern for our aging population. Science has shown that brain is capable of repair and regeneration. Compounds within the hemp plant, along with other botanicals, support the process of neurogenesis, the development of new brain cells.
- Inflammation: Inflammation may be visible as redness or swelling, or it may be hidden. At a cellular level, inflammation is the root cause of most chronic health challenges, from hypertension to diabetes, to cancer, to heart disease. Hemp contains several plant nutrients that help to quell inflammation. Reduced inflammation can improve comfort, mobility and even balance issues, common as we age.
- Pain: Aches and pains are often associated with aging. The discomfort can interfere with healthy mobility and flexibility and limit exercise tolerance. As seniors become less active, the downward spiral of sedentary lifestyle leads to an increased risk of sluggish circulation, poor balance, falls, and even social isolation. The phytonutrients in hemp help to reduce pain and enable seniors to be more active and flexible. These natural plant compounds are not habit forming and do not cause the common side effects seen with some relievers.
- Sleep: Cellular repair and regeneration occur primarily while we are sleeping. Immune system health also depends on sufficient good quality REM sleep. It is important to note that many “sleep aids” do not provide the REM sleep that is truly healthy and restorative. CBD and CBN, along with certain terpenes and phytonutrients in the hemp plant, support a healthy sleep cycle. These compounds support the balance of natural neurotransmitters in the brain to achieve restful sleep, without undesirable side effects.
- Stress management: Baby boomers often describe the chronic annoyance of “monkey mind.” This describes the intrusive worrying about that often occurs about health, finances, friends, family, social conditions, political strife, etc. The worry and over-thinking can affect our mood and rob us of our JOY!
Hemp compounds support our Endocannabinoid System to balance brain chemistry. A good quality broad spectrum hemp extract can help us to find a sense of calm. Rather than being derailed by stress, we can use premium plant nutrients to help us focus and feel empowered. Balanced brain chemistry also facilitates healthy sleep and optimal brain function.
Hemp, Hemp, HOORAY!
The number of senior citizens enjoying the benefits of smart hemp products is growing daily. Some use these natural plant extracts to reduce aches and pains, improve excise tolerance and to get more restful restorative sleep. Others are impressed with the improved clarity, focus, memory, calm, and better mood that these botanical compounds can provide.
The comments I hear daily from my clients include the following:
“ I never expected to be pain-free again”
“ I am moving better that I have in 15 years!”
“ I’m sleeping like a baby with no ‘hangover’ feeling in the morning”
“ I’m able to concentrate and remember details now”
“ I wish I had tried hempsmart sooner…. I feel so much better.”
“ I’m sleeping soundly at night, so I have more energy & ambition.”
“ No stomach upset with hempsmart…gentle but effective for me.”
You may be seeking a healthy solution to some annoying challenges that often come with aging. Or, you may just want to prevent those challenges from creeping into your life. In either case, a high quality broad spectrum (THC-free) hemp extract can offer a safe and effective solution.
Cannabinoid Receptor: Potential Role in Immunomodulation and Neuroinflammation Rom, S., Persidsky Y.
J. Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2013 8:608-21
Published online doi: 10.1007/s11481-013-9445-9